A note from the dance-tech moderator, Re: attention virus!!

Scott A. Sutherland (scott.sutherland@accessone.com)
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 19:21:39 -0800

A note from the dance-tech moderator:

While I'm sure the intentions were good, the virus warning that was just
posted to the dance-tech list is simply a hoax. Please check with me or on
one of the numerous virus reference sites before posting a warning to this
list. The following is a quote from the Symantec AntiVirus site:

(http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/data/win.a.holiday.html)

>Win a Holiday is not a virus. It is a hoax. The "virus" does not
>exist. There is currently no virus that has the characteristics
>ascribed to "Win a Holiday." It is a sham, meant only to panic
>new or inexperienced computer users. In addition, it is a mild
>variant of the "Join the Crew" hoax (form 4).
[...]
>Please ignore any messages regarding this supposed "virus" and
>do not pass on any messages regarding it. Passing on messages
>about this hoax serves only to further propagate it.

Scott Sutherland
dance-tech moderator

>>Subject: Attention VIRUS!!!
>>
>>Reu ce message d'un ami franais :
>>
>>si vous recevez un e-mail intitul "WIN A HOLIDAY" (gagnez des
>>vacances), NE L'OUVREZ PAS, il contient un nouveau VIRUS qui va effacer
>>l'intgralit de votre disque dur. Ceci est un virus nouveau, trs
>>nocif, que peu de gens connaissent. Cette information a t rendue
>>publique par Microsoft le 8 mars. changez cette information avec tous
>>ceux que vous connaissez qui ont accs internet.
>>
>>amicalement
>
>Jo says here that he has heard from a french friend that:
>
>If you receive an E-mail entitled "WIN A HOLIDAY" ---DON'T OPEN IT!!!
>it contains a new virus that will erease the contents of your entire hard
>disk. It is a new virus, very dangerous that few people know about. This
>information was published by Microsoft on the 8th of March. Pass it on to
>all you know who are on the net.
>
>in freindship
>

>Cie. TANDEM asbl
>58 rue de la Lys
>1080 Brussels, Belgium
>T: 32,2,425 89 37
>Fx:32,2,425 89 39
>E-Mail: bud@skynet.be
>artistic direction: Michle Noiret and Bud Blumenthal
>administration: Christophe Slagmuylder

| Scott A. Sutherland -- scott.sutherland@accessone.com |
| Dance & Technology, Photography |
| Multimedia Systems Development: HTML, JavaScript, Director |