Re: hello

Cynthia A. Roses (dancepub@gte.net)
Mon, 19 May 1997 22:21:52 -0400

nik wrote:

> Cynthia:
>
> hi. welcome.
>

> >One thing I would like someone to tell me ---- how is that ballet is not
> >as involved in dance and computers as modern is? The obvious reason is
> >in restaging the classics computers would not be needed or wanted I
> >suppose, but for ballet to advance it must accept new technology. How do
> >you think computers can be applied to ballet?
> >

> what makes u think that modern dance uses computing very much?
>
> just curious?
>
> nik
>
> ~ the dnc project - dance, networks, computing
>
> http://www.websciences.org/dnc/
>
> "The wages of sin are death, but after taxes are taken out, it's
> just a tired feeling."
> -- Paula Poundstone
>
> \|/ ____ \|/
> @~/ Oo \~@
> /_( \__/ )_\
> \__U_/
Thanks Nic,

First I know I have a lot to learn on dance and computing, but from the
scant research, reading and thirty-years of experience in the dance
world I do know that modern dancers take more time to explore while
ballet dancers perfect their technique and form. I was a prima ballerina
and thus can say these things about ballet. It is my opinion that while
I still love ballet I think it is in the past and by that I mean
dedicated to preserving the past without really trying to find a future.
Kevin McKenzie at ABT is doing a great job and maybe other companies
will follow suit, but for the most part I think ballet to most people is
still Swan Lake and Nutcracker.

I know Merce Cunningham uses LifeForms to aide in choreographing as do
other modern choreographers. Plus look at Troika Ranch and other modern
companies expanding and exposing themselves to technology.

I say this because I am concerned ballet, which I believe is a beautiful
and joyous art form will be left behind and become extinct if it does
not in some way incorporate technology and I have no idea how or who.

What do you think?
Cynthia Roses-Thema
Editor
DANCE Technique Newsletter