Re: body electric festival

Scott deLahunta (sdela@ahk.nl)
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 22:27:17 +0200

Hello Richard ---

At 03:21 PM 4/30/97 -0400, you wrote:
>What is there to say about the Performance Studies Conference that hasn't
>already been said?

Yikes -- I looked back through my 80 or so emails which have piled up these
few weeks and sure enough found a posts from Johannes on 22 April which
tells about the Atlanta presentation in some detail and mentions your
comments from another email -- so I obviously just forgot this discussion
had already taken place. What does this mean for recollection when skimming
so many posts every day does not place anything effectively into my
long-term memory banks. Funny.

But -- your just posted somewhat negative report on the conference structure
also sounds like reports I have had via email and in person from some who
attended. This conference obviously was not set up to support artists... and
I know from these conversations that this is something many on the
organising committee lament and they are hoping to do better in the future.
In my opinion there are two types of conferences -- those where the
networking and politicing in the back corridors are the real reason for the
event... and those where the content and quality of presentations, be they
papers or performances, is given top priorty. There are those in the
'performance studies' field who feel their endeavors have taken them too far
away from the practices upon which the field which originally based -- and
that the Atlanta conference was representative of this.

Scott
Scott deLahunta and Susan Rethorst
Writing Research Associates, NL
Sarphatipark 26-3, 1072 PB Amsterdam, NL
tel: +31 (0)20 662 1736
fax: +31 (0)20 470 1558
email: sdela@ahk.nl
http://huizen.dds.nl/~sdela/wra (WRITING RESEARCH ASSOCIATES)