Re(2): demanding, ambitious, informed and inspired ????

Sita Popat (Sita_Popat@research.ultralab.anglia.ac.uk)
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 15:51:49 +0100

Hi Kent

I'm going from Sally Banes's 'Terpsichore in Sneakers' here, by the way
(page 80) - This is a quote from Trisha Brown about Yellowbelly.
(Brown asked the audience to heckle her by calling out "yellowbelly"):
"The audience was too sweet so I stopped them and asked them to be really
nasty. They did. I tried to do whatever came to my mind in response to
the name-calling. When I stopped to bow (after what I considered a
respectable amount of time), they screamed, "yellowbelly" at me, so I
continued until somehow we both stopped."

I wouldn't read that particularly as the audience getting out of hand.
Rather I would see it as the performer handing part of the responsibility
for the performance to the audience, and insisting, in fact, that they
take that responsibility - and then having to be aware that the audience
is now part of the decision-making process in the dance. Therefore it is
no longer only up to the dancer to decide the length of the dance.
Instead it must be a collaborative decision, where, as Trisha Brown puts
it, " somehow we both stopped."

No matter whether technology is involved or not, if we ask the audience to
participate, we then have to respect them as collaborators, even if they
are collaborating within boundaries that we have designed very
specifically.

best
Sita