Re: ethical editioning question

Marius Johnston (mariusj@best.com)
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 17:09:37 -0700

Sounds right to me at least in part.

A Guide to the Collecting and Care of Original Prints (Zigrosser and Gaehde)
sponsored by the Print Council of America states"
"Editions of prints do not have to be limited and were not limited in the past...
But if it is claimed that an edition is limited, it must be limited in fact. Wach
print should bear an indication of the maximum size of the edition. It follows
that the artist may be free to print less, but not more, than the number
specified."

"When the total edition has been printed, it is advisable for the artist to destroy
the master design..."

The question of multiple editions does not arise because the artist has destroyed
or significantly altered the plate, stone, block or what have you.

To make another one is to make a new "original print" with its edition y/xx (y
print out of an edition of xx)

The idea of multiple editions belongs to reproductions or books etc.

Having said all of that, following the advise of Jaxon is honest but technically
incorrect :-)

Marius Johnston

--
My online studio