scaning suggetions from a viewer of our site...

Lile Elam ((no email))
Thu, 24 Aug 1995 03:00:34 -0700

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From cfan@klg.com Wed Aug 16 05:43:32 1995
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 95 08:40:52 EDT
From: cfan@klg.com (Christina Norman)
To: webmasters@art.net
Subject: scaning

Hi, I've been exploring Art on the Net and I've found lots of neat stuff.
Could you *please* include in your little thing on scanning a brief
recommendation that JPG format be used. Something along the lines of

"In general, the JPG format offers the highest quality pictures, while
keeping image size small enough to be easily downloaded. Scan directly
to JPG format, or scan to another 24-bit format such as TIFF and then
convert it to JPG (we can do the conversion for you). GIF format,
while popular, should not be used as it is an 8-bit format and will
reduce your image to only 256 colors."

I realize not all of your users will be very technically oriented, but
every GIF image I've seen on the site has made me cringe. It's such a
waste to reduce artwork to 256 colors, when millions are available at
a smaller file size. Oh, I've found a quality of 80% usually produces
an image indistinguishable from the original, at a fraction of the TIFF
file size.

- Christina

----- End Included Message -----