good news...

Lile Elam ((no email))
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 09:56:24 -0800

Hi fellow artists,

I just got this email from Ann Beeson of the ACLU reguarding the
case that we were plaintiffs (the New Mexico CDA case) and wanted to
sxhare it with you. It looks like the Federal Court of Appeals upheald
the rulings in this case in our favor.

It's exciting to know that art.net and the artists here helped in
setting precedent on issues of decency and censorship on the Internet.

I'll let you know more as I hear.

thanks,

-lile
(a webmaster@art.net)

>Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 11:17:10 -0500
From: "Ann Beeson" <Beeson@aclu.org>
Subject: Victory in ACLU v. Johnson!!

Greetings to all!

We just learned that the 10th Circuit issued a decision in our case, and we
won on both First Amendment and Commerce Clause grounds! The decision
affirms the preliminary injunction against enforcement of the New Mexico
"harmful to minors" law. You can read the decision online at:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/getcase.pl?court=10th&navby=case&no=98219
9

This is a very important victory, because it is the first Federal Court of
Appeals decision to strike down a state online harmful to minors law. It
protects everyone on the Internet from prosecution under the New Mexico law,
and also sends a message to other states that these laws are
unconstitutional.

We'll send out a more thorough analysis of the decision, and information
about what happens next, in a few days.

Thanks very much to all of you for your important contribution to the case.

/Ann

-----
Ann Beeson, Staff Attorney, ACLU Nat'l Legal Dept.
125 Broad St., NY, NY 10004
212-549-2601 (ph); 212-549-2651 (fax)
beeson@aclu.org