Re: Art.Net Studio Section Update... :)

Tom Coffin (tcoffin@ncsa.uiuc.edu)
Thu, 14 May 1998 10:40:27 -0500 (CDT)

This seems really strange... to catalog artworks
by nudity plays into the hands of the idiocracy
of nudity hype of the web. It would be more
appropriate to catalog by media. If subject
matter did need to be further cataloged, a simple
category of "the figure" would be appropriate.

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Michael Betancourt wrote:

> > Also, how would people feel if we had a section that was
> > entitled "Human Form" or "Nude Works"? All artists working
> > in with nudity of human forms would be included in this
> > section.... The purpose of this would be to show that we
> > support artists who work with this subject matter. Please
> > let us know if you think this would be a worth while idea.
>
> I think it's a good idea, but my vote is for "HUMAN FORM" rather than
> "nude works" mainly because pages called "nude" tend to mean sex sites
> rather than art sites.
>
> Plus, I'm not personally confortable with calling what I do precisely
> nude so much as human form. More leeway in that.

coffin@art.net

art.net/~coffin