Re: Did you get what was supposed to be happening?

Ellen Bromberg (ellenb@azstarnet.com)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 16:42:33 -0700

Dear Robert,

My question for you is, why is it a mistake to consider that a work of art speak
on its own terms first? For me, the technology is there as a tool to expand the
pallete of expression, and it is about expression, not technology. Yes, there are
evolutionary steps along the way in which we focus on the technology, just like
when training the body to dance one focuses on technique. But technique is not
the end of the process, it is only the beginning. Ultimately I believe we are
trying to expand into new realms of aesthetic experience. When people are moved
or engaged by what they see, they become interested in understanding more about
how it was made. (I think Sallie Ann Kriegsman said something like this at the
Critic's panel on the closing day of IDAT.) And maybe even then, knowing exactly
how it is delivered is not of primary importance in one's appreciation. We all
enjoy watching movies on our VCRs, and yet most people don't know or care how the
magnetic particles adhere to the tape.

If the purpose of making and presenting work is to educate the audience about
interactivity then yes, keeping it simple and clear is of value. But if making
work represents an ongoing exploration of issues and ideas that drive one's
artistic life (of which technology happens to inform the process and its
realization), then how can one codify an approach? This seems to be contradictory
to all that I know of entering into a creative process. It is in the realm of
metaphor and mystery that art is made and there are no formulas for this. One can
still appreciate the aesthetic experience of viewing Cunningham's work without
knowing that he utilizes chance methods to create it.

Certainly we should be available to discuss these issues with audiences if they so
desire, but I don't believe these concerns should drive the creation of art. I
think when they do, if audiences don't "get the technology", then there's nothing
else to "get" from the work and perhaps that is what alienates audiences.

Respectfully,
Ellen Bromberg