RE: text/music conversion to screen projections

Dado.Valentic@sonybpe.com
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 12:51:00 +0000

Dear friends,

I think we have a good number of marvellous systems involving
movement-to-sound or stage lights, but our use of these expensive beamers we
are always renting is still rather under-developed.

>> If you are using expensive beamers it also means that the quality of your
video
material should follow. This means that any VHS recorder can not cope with the
resolution you need for big screen projections. MPEG-2 4:2:0@ML could provide
you with a cost effective digital video. This one can be stored on tape or hard
drive
and could gain a possibility of instant replay.

What would help is some good software simply to convert sounds to pictures.
I know there is a lot out there, but that is the problem, where to start?
How to sift through the disco-crass and find something artistic.

Are you familiar with some possibilities? I sure would appreciate some
pointers in this.

For the last tour of a very famous pop band (which name I wouldn't like to state
to this group) we had a requirements of automatic light and video control for
each of the singer of the band. First we used some analogue processing like a
gate from the signal which came out of the microphone. Then we plugged it into
analogue to midi converter and then midi signal has been send to the PC which
was
doing simple triggering of data into the DMX . This one again controlled the
lighting
console and video server logged to the time code. The effect was that lights and
video were instantly following each of the four singer who were singing on and
off
by the song tempo of 130 BPM.

Regards

Dado Valentic

Prime Support Engineer
Sony Broadcast and Professional Europe
tel. +44-1256-68 38 18 fax.+44-1256-68 38 30 video conf. +44-1256-81 40
50