Re: Postering

Jeff Miller (jgmille2@students.wisc.edu)
Thu, 04 Jun 1998 20:09:24 -0500

----------
>From: "Jeffrey E. Salzberg" <salzberg@flash.net>
>To: dance-tech@lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
>Subject: Re: Postering
>Date: Thu, Jun 4, 1998, 8:34 PM
>

>> If you believe in what you do, then you should not feel guilty for
>> advertising.
>
>Exactly. As a matter of fact, the opposite is the case; it doesn't
>become art (in my opinion -- your mileage may vary) until someone's
>watching. there's a very odd phenomenon in (some) dance - the belief
>that if we produce and market our work in a professional manner,
>we're somehow selling out. the people who believe this are
>confusing the process with the message. . .and it explains why so
>much good dance is presented in tacky spaces and plays to so few
>people.

Hmmmm...mixed feelings about this. I've had the same argument with people
who feel that by using certain technological aspects in dance we are
supporting corporations, and quoting McCluhan all the way:
"Medium=Message". There really isn't a simple answer to this, however, it
should be noted that ballet dancers are not accused of supporting the French
Monarchy. These are media, tools, methods of expression. While how it is
expressed is important, there is no way to do it that will be completely
non-impactive on the environment. So do your best...and as more people do,
things slowly get better. Hopefully it's not too slow...