Re: references/ National Dance Assoc.

Darren Kelly (kelly@x4u2.desy.de)
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 12:05:33 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, Mary-Lou Michael wrote:

> Darren Kelly wrote:
> Most academics (for what they
> > are worth) consider email citations as solid as the paper the source is
> > written on. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, it just means most
> > won't care.
>
> Well actually Darren, my supervisor has said quite the contrary!
> Primarily because the topic is rather impoverished when it comes to
> published resources. I've found the many debated issues on this list
> quite thought provoking at times.
>
> Mary-Lou :)
I'm sure your supervisor would agree that's it's always worth also
hounding colleagues for stronger sources such as published material. My
point is that referring to personal communications, in whatever form, can
at most supplement other references. Another thing to think of is that
your colleagues (and supervisor) might cite email responsibly, whereas in
other areas a free-for-all is developing.

As others who replied to you suggested, just use some common sense and
you can't go wrong. Notice someone also mentioned DATING web citations
exactly; it's a slippery, transient medium.

Gruesse

Darren

PS: I'm leaving this interesting but not so dancey thread.

Darren Kelly | | |
| \ 0 / |
DESY -MPY- (Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron) | * o |
Notkestr.85 | - D E S Y - |
22603 Hamburg | o * |
Germany | / O \ |
| | |
phone: +49-40-8998-4569 | |
fax: +49-40-8998-4305 <--Note change | |
e-mail: kelly@x4u2.desy.de | |
Amandastr.40a, | HOME |
20357 Hamburg | zu Hause |
phone: +49-40-4322602 | The PLAYhouse |