Re: body economy

Richard Povall (Richard.Povall@oberlin.edu)
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 07:32:08 -0500

Johannes wrote:

>In my latest writing/reflections (for a new book) I have expressed some
>views on Stelerac's performances which are different from what I thought a
>year or two ago. I see him as a dancer...

I have to admit that I have a problem with Stelarc's work largely because I
see his body as a passive object, a machine, that is being manipulated by
the host (the technology), rather than the other way around. It seems to
me that Stelarc's work is rooted not in the physical body at all, but in
the machines or networks he uses to robotocize his limbs and muscles.

fwiw

R i c h a r d P o v a l l
Assoc. Prof of Computer Music and New Media / Chair, TIMARA Dept.
MPO Box 0332 TIMARA/Studio 5
Oberlin, OH 44074-0332 USA Oberlin Conservatory of Music
Voice: +1.440.775.1016 Oberlin College
Fax: +1.440.775.8942 Oberlin, OH 44074 USA
email: Richard.Povall@oberlin.edu
website: http://timara.con.oberlin.edu/~RPovall/RPHome.html

NOTE AREA CODE CHANGE EFFECTIVE AUGUST 18. 1997. NEW CODE IS 440
The Dartmoor Project
High Moorland Business Centre, The Old Duchy Hotel, Princetown, Yelverton,
Devon, PL20 6QJ UK
Voice: +44.(0)1822.890539
Fax: +44.(0)1822.890566
website: http://www.esad.plymouth.ac.uk/Personal/R-Povall/dartproj.html